Wednesday, September 03, 2008

MY Summer

This was in this weekends paper, take a second to see what we've been dealing with and why I'm so grumpy!

It was supposed to be the stay-at-home year, when millions of Britons chose not to fly abroad but to bask in the British sunshine – but of course it didn’t turn out like that.
For those left in any doubt about this summer’s weather, the release of official figures yesterday proved that it has been one of the wettest and dullest on record.
Met Office statistics show rainfall this summer is already up to 50 per cent higher than normal and August is on course to have the fewest hours of sunshine since records began.
The average rainfall across the UK from June 1 to August 26 is 317.7mm, 40 per cent more than normal, with five days of readings still to be considered. (If we get 40mm more in the next 5 days, it will be the most on record since 1914-already 2 0f those 5 were constant rainy days!)
This month is also expected to be one of the dullest since sunshine records began in 1929. The national average of 96.3 sunshine hours up to August 26 is already 40 per cent below the month’s average. The previous dullest August was in 1942, with 111.4 hours.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

I remember the first time I had the winter blues because of lack of sunshine. It was just awful. And this is going on for you in the summer. Sounds like you need a couple of trips. We could use the rain here if you want to send it.

Nancy said...

would love to. it is horrendous. we are counting the days til we go to FL in October and NC at Christmas! I know, who gets seasonal affect disorder in the summer??!! urgh! the brits, thats who. Kathy, how did you deal with this!!??

Gma17 said...

Ahhhh, so sorry ,Nancy.. We have had a lot rain lately too and now with 3 storms approaching, we will be getting more. Just think of Lori and Rob..they had 6 months of darkness YUK! it is just a short time till Oct. Keep your chin up

Nancy said...

thanks. but this is more than just an an afternoon thunderstorm. i think this feels worse than a hurricane. ok, i know it's not, but this summer, there has been like 96 hours of sun. imagine. all summer. imagine the grey clouds and gloominess. ok, i should shut up, i don't want to bring myself down. i will think of october!! Yeah, sunny sunshine state FL!! Yippee!! Ice cream and balloons! cold beer and chicken wings!! the sound of waves on the beach!! the salty beach air!! Oh God, I feel better already!!!! it must be true, have to think of positive things!!

Unknown said...

I would go insane!!! I hate the rain, I hate gloomy-ness! The video of Haley was so freaken cute, I show it to everyone and every time I cry when Haley starts crying...lol.

Jen said...

awww who put up the adorable countdowns!!! loving it


not loving the UK rain though! sorry nancy!!

RickyB said...

Barb,
Sorry for not writing sooner. Just returned from Guadalajara, Mexico and does not look like I'll make this weekend. Need to see what this damn storm (Hanna) will bring us this weekend, although, I'm more concerned about Ike, after it.
Love Ya'll

Nancy said...

Boy did I have fun last night. Pete called as I was making dinner to say he couldn't make it home in time to take Hayle to football practice, could I? Of course darling. I make Hayle's pork burger and put the potatoes in the oven, and start to fry up some eggplant on the stove. Hayle starts to eat, and then I hear her say 'Ohhh!' I turn, and at first I thought she threw her burger on the floor. Then I realized, BJ had just pooped next to her. I'm like, OH!, I turn and first get the dogs outside. Then I grab some things to clean it, and I start totally gagging out loud like Dad. I thought I would really throw up! Then the eggplant starts really cooking! And smoking, wash my hands, turn them over, clean up poop and gag. Then the buzzer goes off for the potatoes, then the smoke alarm goes off and the phone rings!! AAAHHH!! I take Hayle to football, and when I get home, Pete's sitting on the couch and says, the kitchen looks like you really had to rush out of here. Anyone have a hammer?? I couldn't wait to take the dogs for their walk in the rain.........isn't life great!

Kathy said...

Well I certainly can't compete with your weather Nancy but in the last month I've gone through two umbrella's (it's been pretty windy here with Faye and Hanna). And I don't have a dog to complain about but Neil has moved in here until he leaves for the Air Force and OMG he can stink up a house quickly.
I lived in Scotland from Jan. 1984 until Dec.89 (I think) and I can tell you that June 21 1986 was a really nice day because we got to Bar-B-Q that day. It rained the rest of the time.

Jen said...

nancy i read that outloud to adam and my friend doug! we laughed...that was like a saga straight out of a book. you make me laugh so much. anyway, hope the eggplant turned out good :)