Thursday, July 06, 2006

We Are FAAM-I-LY! (to be sung aloud)

So now that I've got this blogging thing down (I'm not computer-stupid, it just would NOT work for me for a while there) I will start posting about the family reunion.

From what I've gathered (from the posts and from my mother's gossip) this is what you all think so far/and my responses:
-We don't want to be hit by a hurricane or lose our money being evacuated.
--This is a logical concern and a good point. What if we did the reunion closer to late May/Early June when school is first out. The prices are the same until July 1st. The only pitfall is that we lose the Holiday Weekend, but perhaps that's not a problem?

-We don't want to wait a WHOLE year and a half.
--Be patient young grasshoppers. But, keep in mind that if we move things to June, we've solved the problem?

-Nancy needs lots of extra notice & doesn't know when Labor Day is AND she's lived over in Wales for just one year and she's begun spelling things funny (I quote "Labour").
--It would not be a Family Reunion without The Caltabianos, and so we can probably work around that. Just let us know how you feel about the new date range suggested and what dates/times work for you all.

-We like the idea of Cape Hatteras?
--My pitch: It's an in between since we're now scattered all over the world. The beaches are beautiful, and the houses are HUGE- which helps when you're looking at housing the BIG (yet beautiful) Braun Family. The Avon Cottages will let us spread out a little, but stay close together. They're reasonably priced (I think we'll be able to do housing for up to one week for about $100 each!) and they are RIGHT on the beach.

-You'd like to know more?
--Nearby is Ocracoke Island which the famous pirate Blackbeard was killed on. They have ferries running there, and it's supposed to be a fun place to visit. Lots of history there and the people still speak with an Old English Accent (Nancy can translate). I figure that would be a fun day trip for the kids & adults. Also, I encourage everyone to look into Geocaching- which I think would be a fun team game for us to do. Check out www.geocaching.com. I'm addicted... to the idea (I haven't actually done it yet). But I'm pretty sure we could have a good time with it. AND there is a small town where we can do shopping. With all the decks and the large living spaces, we'll be able to gather nightly. And don't forget the Beach!

So that's all. As soon as we settle on a date, we can start this thing for real (presuming my sales pitch of Cape Hatteras was convincing).
Love you all!

4 comments:

Mary Lesh said...

I'm sold

Anonymous said...

Boy, you really do your homework ,Melisa...I went on the site and it looks good to me. I know it is hard to get everyone together with all agreeing..I know The Halseys and the G brauns made other plans for that summer.. and Lori has been planning Europe that summer too. But I have had made No plans and except for the drive up ther..it looks geat. I guess I would get to Atlanta and hitch a ride with someone from there..HMMM I wonder who? And Kathy there is a beach down here too, you know..You can come down any time.. The place looks great though, I must agree....

Anonymous said...

Our plans are for mid-September, but don't change anything on our account. I certainly have every intention of coming, unless of course it is mid September. We are going to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and that is the best time of the year to go. I'd rather go when there is snow on the ground so we can go snowmobiling (?), but that turned out to be really expensive. Anyway count us in if it's any other time of the year!! The place looks awesome and Mary was explaing that game to me (geo...) which sounds like so much fun. Maybe Kathy still has that underwear that her friend Kathy brought to our Mother's Day weekend. I'm thinking we could bury them for some other poor soul!! Keep us posted.

Nancy said...

Hayle doesn't get out of school until July, and I talked to Lori the other day, she said she doesn't think she can do both a European vacation and the reunion, and I WANT her to come here. Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, if I suggest 2008 Kathy may explode. You could all get together for a mini-reunion, and I will be very sad to miss it, but.......ugh, I have to go help Hayle get ready for school