Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kilroy & Maw


Not sure how many of you know that I've started a little endeavor with a friend of mine, Sarah Watts. She's an amazing illustrator who shares with me a love of gig poster artwork. So we've started contacting bands and making posters. We collaborate on design, she illustrates, and then I've been screenprinting them. So far we've been doing really well, and I just wanted to share with the fam some of our work. You might not know the bands (mostly indie names), but the artwork is pretty regardless.

The name of our business is Kilroy & Maw. Kilroy is a reference to grandpa. Remember how he used to always leave notes all over that said, "Kilroy was here" ? Granted, it's a saying that has history and pop culture reference (this wiki article about it was interesting to me and added a bit more meaning). Maw is a reference to Sarah's grandma.

We've only done 3 posters so far, but we have more in the works. Pretty soon we will have a website up (thank you Christy!), but in the meantime here is our etsy site:
www.kilroyandmaw.etsy.com

Thanks for checking us out!

12 comments:

Bridget said...

That's really cool!! I love to see people who have an idea and then act on it. I'm just not motivated. Better yet I need a partner in something. Anyway good to see someone loving what they do. Good Luck!!

Kathy said...

I think that is awesome Melissa. The artwork looks great and with your talents, I'm sure your endeavor will be a huge success. Can't wait for you to get the call to produce the next poster for a Brad Pitt movie.

You go girls!!!!

Jen said...

very cool melissa! you and your sis are both sooo creative with the jobs you do. teaching sure ain't that exciting haha! keep up the great work.....

Mary Lesh said...

I love the website but more importantly I love the posters. I've seen some as you were printing. I am so glad things are going so well and I hope it continues to grow and grow and grow.

Gma17 said...

Congratulations on this great accomplishment. I am jealous of all this talent. Perhaps my "I wish I could" attitude was passed down to you girls so it has finally become "I know I can". That is beautiful
art work. Keep up the good work and I know you will be successful.

Anonymous said...

I saw the site christy did and i love it...really love what you wrote on the "about" page...i think it is going to be huge!!!!

Mary Lesh said...

Just for the record ya'll, Mom just finished knitting her first hat for Peach Fuzz. And Kathy called to brag about so G-ma you got talent! And someone who is suffering from the side effects of chemo is going to be proud to wear her new hat that you made.

Nancy said...

I wish I could, but I so can't. BUT, I am convincing Hayle too! So she won't be SOOOOO bored! She's babysitting tomorrow afternoon, then our bbq tomorrow night. But Sunday/Monday for sure.

Melissa, well done! It's must feel really good to create something! AND people like it! All I want to do is cook for other people. I can't make what I want to make 'cuz pete wants to diet (UGH!) But I love cooking with butter, cream, hi fat stuff that tastes so good. I want to ask a local restaurant if I can cook for them, but I don't think they'll let me???

Bridget said...

Nancy, if Sebastian will finally open a restaurant, you and I will work there. I'll let him know. It would be so fun!!

Kathy said...

I just spent 5 days in a house on the beach in Port St. Joe and I am soooo ready to do it again!! Rick, your friends house, are there certain times we can't have it? Because if we could have it for next July 4th or even the first week of June (it gives most of us enough time to plan vacations). I would love to do it again. It was the most relaxing time I've ever spent. We got up and had coffee on the porch watching the waves roll in. Went for walks, read a book while sitting under umbrella's on the beach, some went snorkeling, some did some para-sailing, and we had a puzzle going on in the house that everyone contributed to. Oh yeah, and there were lots of margarita's and cosmo's at nighttime. Let's sign up!!!!

Bridget said...

Since there are no weddings for next summer, lets do it. We'll see if anyone is pregnant by then.

Linda said...

Melissa that is very cool!! Maybe when you start expanding you may want to think about making cards. I just bought a bunch of cards and boy are they expensive!! Some one's making some money!!..Anyway, I just got off the phone with Jimmy VanSickle!! He sounds great. He has turned his life around and would love to hear from everyone. So if you get a chance, send him a short note with some pictures. Mom sent everyone an email with his address. He's going to try to get a gmail email, but he's very slow on the computer. This is his first time on the computer which he finds amazing!!!