Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Favorite Childhood Memory

ok, just a topic I thought I'd throw out there. So this isn't a funny one, but share whatever you like.
Sometimes this thought just springs into my mind. I was less than 5 years old, and we lived in that house before Carolina Ave. Can't remember the name, but I can remember all the older kids were going off to school, and I was standing at the screen door waving to them. Then Mom was putting me down for a nap. And I didn't want to go, but she said she'd lay down with me. She did. But when I woke up she wasn't there. I figured it out on my own, that she didn't really stay with me. (duh?) But I was really little. It's like the only memory from when I was that young. Ok, I have more, but does anyone have any they want to share???

13 comments:

Kathy said...

Nancy, I remember that house and it was you that gave me my first "Fright". You know the kind of fright where all the blood drains out of your body and then there's an extreme heat flash!!! I was babysitting and you were in the bathtub and I heard you scream at the top of your lungs" FIRE"!!!! For just a split second I thought I couldn't move but when I ran into the bathroom to get you, I realized that it was just your baby talk creaming "Spider".
Oh, wait a minute, it wasn't that other house in Ft. Lauderdale, that was the house in Miami.
I just remembered I made a mistake but I didn't feel like erasing this and thinking of another memory. I'll think of a memory of that house later.

Mary Lesh said...

I don't think it has to be about that house, she just wants a memory.

Ok, I remember taking Bridget to school one day. I was 5 and she was 3. We were making mud pies when I thought it would be a good time to go. So, in our muddy mess we walked to St. Mary's and visited Linda's classroom where we told the teacher she loved to sing and the teacher made her sing to the class.
Mom had called the police looking for us and actually made us lay down on the floor of the car when she finally found us. She said if the police see us they would take us to jail for running away.

Nancy said...

Mary, that is the most bizarre story I've ever heard! why have you never told that b4? Or why have I never heard it?? the police were called?? Mom? What's going on?
Kathy, I remember that spider house! I remember screaming, but it was when I was going to bed and I think mom & dad were there. But I'm sure I screamed for you too! They were BIG and scarey!

Mary Lesh said...

Nancy, I can't believe you never heard that story. It has been told. I don't think Mom actually called the police, I think she was scaring us with that. Just for the record, I told Mom and Dad where we were going. I can remember it vividly. They were arguing in the bathroom and I told her. I don't remember her acknowledging, but I told her.

Gma17 said...

Mary, you never told me...Believe me...And no I did not call the cops but was about to when Mother David Mary called me. I was so embaressed.. Dad was out scanning the neighborhood while I stayed home waiting for the ransom call.You were both so cute and so very dirty when I picked you up.
Please let's hear some more stories from every body else....Or I will tell some of my experie

Gma17 said...

experiences

Kathy said...

Ok, here's another memory. Dad (grandpa) loved making things. He made root beer one time and it was yummy. He also made wine!! He had a huge barrel down in the basement and had made Dandelion Wine. The main ingredient for making wine is patience. And he had plenty. Only trouble is me and Mary Caracciola found the wine and had periodically taken samples over a few months. By the time dad finally went down there to get some, it was pretty much gone. That was another fine mess Mary got me into!!!!

Mary Lesh said...

Ok, here's another one. Dad took me and Linda to pick up his paycheck for the RR and naturally he stopped at the bar across from the station. Not Carroll's Bar & Grill the other one. Anyway, for some reason he did not bring us in to sit at the bar and drink a root beer or birch beer while he had a real beer. This time we had to sit in the car. I think we were about 8 & 9. We decided to play with that little handle on the steering wheel. You know the one that puts you in reverse, neutral or drive? How were we supposed to know what that did. I guess it was a good thing we were not on a hill. We only rolled a little way, but Dad got mad at us. I guess he should have told us not to touch that thing.

Nancy said...

oh my god, mom, can you believe their stories! you and dad would be in so much trouble today!! Mom, remember that time gerry and I went into, what was it? Neisners? and we were looking at records. then we realized we were going to be late meeting you and started to run out of the store. Some lady stopped us and made me open my purse because she was sure I had stolen something. We came out and told you. you were furious! I don't know if you ever said anything to them, but told us if they ever tried that again, to make them call the cops first and arrest us. then we'd have them for false arrest. Then KMart thought I was stealing because I returned s/thing without a receipt and I was on a 'List' to be looked out for!
where the heck is everyone else? they're missing all this fun.

Gma17 said...

Oh yes, I did do something about that..Don't you remember that? I called the police station and a cop called me and told me to meet him there with you. Then we went in and the security guard came too. The cop told security that he was not allowed to look into your purse without a policeman there and only if he was sure you had taken something. And a stor clerk can never look. Also he told you next time to have security call your mom and the police before anyone could look in your purse...You were there..

Nancy said...

oh, I thought the clerk looked in my purse?? I dont remember a cop being there???!

Mary Lesh said...

I just had the worst nightmare. OMG. Thank God John woke me when he did. I actually had tears in my eyes when I woke up. It was horrible.
I went to some kind of motor cross thing with all girl bikers--one looked like a man. Actually I didn't know where I was going, I just happened upon it. I left my camera in the car, so I decided to go back to get it. Everywhere I turned there were pictures to be made. I got stopped by groups of people who just would not move. Then the Queen came with her entourage. More picture ops and I couldn't get to the car. No matter, now my camera was on a boat. Luckily the land up ahead turned into a harbor and there where all kinds of boats and water and bridges and more photo ops. OMG, my boat just left! I couldn't get my camera and this woman came by with about 10 kids dressed in their Sunday best (probably to see the Queen) and made them sit in front of me. More missed pictures to be made. This is when John woke me, thank God.
Feel free to tell me your worst nightmare

Kathy said...

OH, Mary, that was such a nightmare for you I know.
I haven't had any nightmares to speak of lately (I divorced the only one that contributed to my nightmares)but to add to the nightmare memories, I did have one a long time ago. I was at the house on Carolina Ave. and I was dreaming about me and Uncle Tommy going into an old house and every time we went up the stairs, we fell through the floor and landed back on the first floor. In my dream I was very upset and crying, apparently crying so hard that I was actually sobbing in my sleep. Mom happened to come in to the room and woke me to see if I was OK. I realized it was a dream and started to laugh while at the same time I was still sobbing. You know its very difficult to sob and laugh at the same time without looking like an idiot.