Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mary's Bird Sanctuary















This is what I have been busy with the past two weeks. John and I have been digging up the back yard because I wanted a bird sanctuary. I know it looks a little sparse, but once these plants fill out and the bulbs come up, I think this will look beautiful. We still have to place two bird houses and a butterfly house. I also saw another hummingbird feeder that I think I might have to have. We have lots of plants to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Our next project is going to be beehives. And I want to do some bat homes in the woods of course.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh MaryEllen, that looks so good. I should have come down to see it. Now I want to do something too. I need a rich boyfriend first. Be on the lookout will ya.

Jen said...

im not a nature kinda girl, and i surely know nothing about plants, but i do know that it looks very stylish and you did a nice job :) hooray for you and your hummingbirds!!

Nancy said...

Mary, you are becoming an old lady. Birds? Although it looks like alot of work, and i'm sure you and John had a really FUN time together doing it. I cannot imagine you yelling at him or bossing him around at all, I'm thinking of the 2 of you laughing and helping each other. You probably brought him lots of cold drinks too. and patted each other on the back for all the good work. I'm gonna have my backyard done too. but no bird stuff, just a water feature. ok, don't get mad at me. I'm just playing around.

Anonymous said...

Patted him on the back.. I think I see the indent of his body when he fell because she patted him with the shovel!! Just kidding. It looks great, and yes I am jealous. And Mary yelling?? You must be thinking about someone else!! I've never heard/seen Mary ever raise her voice, especially at John!! Nancy, what were you drinking?? Mary, make sure you update us with pictures as the flowers bloom and spread out!! Wasn't it Christy that loved bird books as a child? Your kids rubbed off on you, go figure!! You mentioned beehives, are you for real? You mean you want beehives? I almost bought you this thing that traps wasps and they can't get out, so they die. I'm glad I didn't. Next are you going to plant berries to attract bears!! Love Ya..Hope everyone has a great Mother's Day!!

Barbara said...

Hey Mary - How did you get that aerial view? Did you climb up on the roof? It looks great. Do you and John want to come over and do one for us?
Happy Mothers Day to all. I am sure we will all be endlessly pampered today. Really - I hope everyone has a great day.
With Love

Mary Lesh said...

The aerial view came from my deck. And you all know I wouldn't yell at John. We took turns getting drinks for one another. And we took turns cooking for one another. We were such a happy little couple while we did this.
I always liked watching birds. I had bought a book on bird watching and I showed Tony. I told him it was one of my grandma books. I would teach my grandchildren to birdwatch. Tony said if he ever catches me doing that with his children he won't let me see them. I'm sure he won't mind if we sit in my garden. ha ha ha. And yes Linda, I want bees because they make honey and I like honey. I already have blueberries, blackberries and raspberries and so far no bears. But I am ready with my camera in case.
Happy Mother's Day everyone. I will be at Stephen's brothers with his family and my girls & Jen and John while a chef cooks for all of us. Seems no one in Stephen's family wanted to do the cooking so they hired a chef so we can lounge around. Ta ta everyone

Nancy said...

Yes, Happy Mothers Day everyone. It's not Mothers Day here, so it kinda goes without noticing. the UK Mothers Day was the weekend of Melissa's wedding, so I kinda got screwed this year. Oh well, Pete will make up for it.

Nancy said...

christy, you CRACK ME UP!!!! I totally agree with you. I am no freaking bird watcher. I couldn't be more bored!!! Let's watch the grass grow while we're at it! That'd be fun.

CHARLIE--I wanted to ask you how Disney was?? What are you doing there? and how do you like it?? We haven't heard from you in awhile.

Mary Lesh said...

The birds and butterflies do not fly around me although once I had a hummingbird in my face. I sat on the deck and took pictures of some birds today. I am not really a bird watcher, but I do like to see them occasionally. It's not like they are flying here in groves. And Christy don't worry, I will protect you if you come over and the birds bother you.

Nancy said...

mary, why was a hummingbird in your face? were you standing with your mouth open with peanut butter on your tongue? oh god, I am messing up my makeup, i'm laughing so hard tears are rolling down my face!!

Mary Lesh said...

Actually I was sitting on the porch holding my camera and the bird just flew in my face and hovered there for a minute or two. I actually backed my head up to the wall because it moved in so close. I though it was going to land on my lip. In answer to your question, no I did not put peanut butter in my mouth to attract it.

Nancy said...

you had your camera and didn't take a picture! Still Funny!!

Anonymous said...

I'M BAACK! HAD A GREAT TIME BUT BEFORE I START I MUST SAY THAT ,YES MARY, YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL GARDEN. i REALLY LIKE IT. BUT UNFORTUNATELY I DONOT LIKE BATS OR BEES EITHER. i KNOW YOU WILL PUT THEM IN A CAGE WHEN I COME THOUGH, RIGHT? i WILL TELL YOU ABOUT MY TRIP HOME AND THE INCOMPETENT ,RUDE AND INSANE EMPLOYEES AT USAIR. pLANE WAS SUPPOSE TO TAKE OFF AT 9:55 AND WAS THRILLED TO SEE IT ARRIVE AND THE PASSENGERS GET OFF AT 9:00. SILLY ME. AT 9:30 THEY ANNOUNCED THAT THE PLANE HAD A SLIGHT PROBLEM AND IT WOULD BE DELAYED 30M MINUTES HAHAHAHAH. ANYWAY WE EVENTUALLY HAD TO GO TO A DIFFERENT GATE AND BOARD A SMALLER PLANE. hmm, WON'T THAT BE A PROBLEM? NO SAID THE EMPLOYEES..NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT. HAHAHAHA. AT 12:30 THEY WERE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW THEY WERE GOING TO DO IT. THEY FINALLY ASKED FOR VOLUNTEERS AND NOW WE ARE REALLY GOING TO BOARD. WE DID. AT 2:00 WE WERE ALL ON THE PLANE EXCEPT FOR A FEW MAD PASSENGERS. BOY AM I HAPPY . SILLY ME. WRONG AGAIN. THEY ANNOUNCED THAT ANYONE ON THE PLANE WHO WAS PLANNING TO FLY ON TO KEY WEST TO PAY ATTENTION. NO MORE FLIGHTS WERE GOING TO BE TAKING OFF FROM FT LAUDERDALE TONIGHT. BUT IF THEY WANTED TO EXIT THE PLANE THEY COULD GO TO ORLANDO AND GET A FLIGHT FROM THERE. OH GREAT! ABOUT 12 PASSENGERS DECIDED TO LEAVE. THAT TOOK FOREVER. THEN SOME PEOPLE DECIDED TO CHANGE THEIR SEATS AND GET MORE COMFORTABLE.OH BUT WAIT , NOW THEY ARE GOING TO LET SOME OF THE MAD PASSENGERS ON. INSTEAD OF JUST COMING IN AND TAKING THE EMPTY SEATS, US AIR GAVE THEM SEAT ASSIGNMENTS AND EVERYBODY HAD TO MOVE AGAIN. WE FINALLY TOOK OFF AND SAT ON THE TARMAC FOR HALF AND HOUR WAITING TO TAKE OFF. IT WAS A BUMPY FLIGHT ALL THE WAY DOWN UNTIL WE GOT TO FT.LAUDERDALE. THEN IT WAS HORRIBLE. WEHAD TO CIRCLE THE AIRPORT FOR 45 MINUTES. HAS ANYBODY ACTUALLY READ THIS WHOLE THING? IF SO YOOU KNOW I GOT HOME SAFELY BUT IT WAS BY FAR THE ABSOLUTELY WORSE PLAANE TRIP EVER. REALLY. NEXT TIME I WILL TELL YOU ABOUT THE REST OF MY VACATION. IT WAS ALOT BETTER. LOVE YOU ALL. OH AND BY THE WAY I LOST MY CELL PHONE.

Mary Lesh said...

You were asking for it if Bridget got you your ticket. She knows how horrible USAir is, she complains all the time. And look at Bridget's problems with flights. She has a record for delayed flights. Oh well, glad you arrived safely.

Nancy said...

Nightmare!!!! Pete recently had a terrible flight on Continental too! But not due to incompetance, it was (I guess) bad weather. The person beside him and the one in front of him, both actually threw up in the air sickness bags!!!! I've NEVER seen anyone do that, ever! Gross, and then he said the flight attendants don't take them from the passengers, so they have to keep it!! Grosser!! The smell! Ugh, anyway, I'm glad you're home too. How the heck did you lose your cell phone? At Bridgets or at the airport?? ugh. if it's at BB's, maybe it will turn up....