Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May. Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. Service Members who died while in the military service. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War – it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.
Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873. By 1890 it was recognized by all of the northern states. The South refused to acknowledge the day, honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I (when the holiday changed from honoring just those who died fighting in the Civil War to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war). It is now celebrated in almost every State on the last Monday in May (passed by Congress with the National Holiday Act of 1971 (P.L. 90 - 363) to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays), though several southern states have an additional separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead: January 19 in Texas, April 26 in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi; May 10 in South Carolina; and June 3 (Jefferson Davis' birthday) in Louisiana and Tennessee.

9 comments:
well that was educational. Today we woke up to rain, but Pete left for the course anyway. I should go to the gym, feel fat. We'll see?
I have been training for my 1/2 marathon. I started this
week. I walk 1.7 miles Monday and Wednesday and 5 miles on Friday. I run down hills (it's the best I can do right now) Then I do yoga Tuesday and Thursday. Saturday and Sunday are my bike riding days, unless I work on Saturday--then I do yoga again. We usually ride bikes 8-10 miles. It really breaks it up. When I am walking I always think, "thank god I only do yoga tomorrow." Then when I do yoga I think, "thank god I only do walking tomorrow." I like the bike riding. Of course I like the walking--it is the running I don't like because my butt bounces so much it actually gets sore. But I am always glad I did it. I have lost 9 pounds this month. So I think I will keep at it. Obviously the excercise was not the only thing helping me lose weight. I have also gotten back on my diet. It can only get better from here.
Good for you Mary - you should be proud of yourself. Let me know if you need a biking buddy.
AWESOME Mary, keep it up. I'm trying to get back in better shape myself but having a hard time motivating myself. I'm using the Wedding as motivation now so we will see. Can't wait to see everyone. 9 Pounds is great Mary, you should be proud.. Love ya
MARY!!!! I am SOOOOO excited for you!! You're excercising more than me too! 9 Pounds baby!! I will be so jealous when you run 1/2 MARATHON! I worked out with Richard yesterday and lost 3 lbs last night, I'm seeing him again tomorrow!
We're going to London on Friday. Enya hasn't been so we're doing touristy stuff. Pete flies to America on Saturday and then we'll take the train home Sunday.
It took 3 whole weeks to lose 9 pounds. But I'll take anything. I don't care if it takes all year to lose another 30 pounds, I am going to do it. Then I'll worry about the next 20 or 30 pounds. I'm sick of being fat. Apparently this time I am really serious.
Last night I had french fries so I thought I better work them off and went for a 4 mile walk. Would you believe it did not work off all those fries? Gotta give those up for sure. I usually try to stay away from that stuff, now I know I can't indulge at all.
There is a half marathon in Miami either Dec 6th or 11th I am going to see if Melissa would like to do that one. It's a rock and roll one (with a latin flare--duh). I think that would be fun. Any of you Floridians up for it?
can they change it to a later date? I'll be there the 15th!!
I'll see what I can do about getting it changed. I'm pretty sure when they hear you are coming into town, they will consider making a change. I think the only thing that will stop them is one of the assholes in charge. He is a control freak. And you know how it is dealing with a control freak.
Fingers crossed!
thanks!
Post a Comment